The Philharmonia Orchestra is one of the world’s great orchestras and presents six concerts a season at the Bedford Corn Exchange, where it has been resident since 1995. Our 2017/18 season promises music for all ages to enjoy, from Rachmaninov’s achingly beautiful Second Piano Concerto to one of the most popular works of all time, Dvořák’s New World Symphony. We’d love to share the thrill of a live symphony orchestra with your students so we are pleased to offer local schools a 50% discount off full-price tickets and a free teacher’s ticket for every 10 students that come.
Orchestra Unwrapped is a concert series for children aged 7-11 presented in partnership with the Harpur Trust at the Bedford Corn Exchange. Orchestra Unwrapped features:
- An exciting programme of music based on a theme, presented by a music education specialist.
- INSET teacher training, equipping teachers with the skills to maximise the concert experience for their pupils via pre- and post-concert classroom exercises, and developing personal creativity, expression, confidence and group work skills.
- An opportunity for children to sing an interactive and engaging audience participation piece with the Philharmonia live in concert.
- Accompanying in-school creative workshops designed to prepare children for the concert visit, bringing to life the players and programme.
- Inspiring music played by one of the world’s great orchestras. Orchestra Unwrapped gives each child the opportunity to enjoy and learn about music locally, whatever their background.
- Suitable for all children; as well as mainstream schools, concerts are regularly attended by SEND schools, home educated children, pupil referral units, and looked-after children.
- Top young instrumentalists perform side-by-side within the Orchestra during the audience participation piece, with the young musicians receiving coaching from Philharmonia players in advance.
“I personally found the opportunity to access such amazing live music locally in a small venue was incredible.” – Anna Bellamy, Teaching Assistant at Kymbrook Lower School
“[The] Orchestra were fantastic and provided children with an experience they probably wouldn’t access otherwise.” – Jacob Atkinson, Teacher at Queen’s Park Academy
“I liked everything, it was amazing.” – Teah, age 9 from Brickhill Lower School
“[I learnt] How sensational being at a concert is.” – Pupil, Harrold Lower School
The cost of participating in Orchestra Unwrapped is £60 (+ VAT) per class (approximately 30 children, plus accompanying adults), which includes concert tickets, a place at a teachers INSET session, and the project resource pack and CDs. For our main evening concerts, we offer a 50% discount for school bookings which includes one free 'teacher's' ticket for every 10 students. Full price tickets start from £14 so could cost as little as £7 per student.
Orchestra Unwrapped includes INSET teacher training, equipping teachers with the skills to maximise the concert experience for their pupils via pre- and post-concert classroom exercises, as well as developing personal creativity, expression, confidence and group work skills.
Jacob Atkinson, Queen's Park Academy
Terry Hooper, Lincroft School
Public Liability Insurance: Held
Safeguarding: Valid DBS Check
6 Chancel Street, London, SE1 0UX
020 7921 3904